Start with placing the tomatoes in a salad bowl, top them with the cucumber, green peppers and finally the thinly sliced onion on top.
Dress the salad with red wine vinegar - this will give the onions a nice sweetness.
Top the onions with anthotiro cheese, thick capers, and Kalamata olives.
Drizzle with the Greek extra virgin olive oil, oregano & salt.
Top it all off with two or three plum caper berries or several capers.
Tossed it all up and enjoy the salad with a nice glass of Malagouzia, Assyrtiko or a fresh Rose.
Greek salad by Hungry Donkey
Just before their summer residency at Maltby St. Market, things are getting hectic in Hungry Donkey's kitchen.
However, Tziovi the Chef, shared with us his simple but essential recipe for the best dish of the season: Greek 'village' salad.
- 300g thick red vine tomatoes (cut in wedges)
- 70g cucumber (sliced with skin on)
- 30g green peppers (thinly sliced)
- 30g red onion (thinly sliced)
- 80g Cretan Myzithra (crumbled)
- 30ml greek extra virgin olive oil
- 15ml red wine vinegar
- 6-8 pcs kalamata olives
- 1 pinch of wild oregano
- 3-4 caper berries (depending on their size) or several capers
- 1-2 pinches of sea salt