Produced in the mountain valley of Feneos in the north Peloponnese, ‘Beans Vanilies Feneos’ is a small, oval shaped, white, thin-skinned bean, with 1000 seeds weighing between 270 and 280g. Its sweet taste, ability to boil easily, and the fact that after boiling the seeds and the soft flesh are still intact without being separated from the peel, makes them particularly appealing.
- Ingredients: 100% Vanilla beans of Feneos PDO/PGI
- no preservatives, no pesticides
- Origin: Feneos, North Peloponnese, Greece
- Net weight: 500g
- Packaging: Paper bag
Registered as a PDO/PGI product, ‘Beans Vanilies Feneos’ differ from other common beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) in the following respects:
- richer in dietary fibres by up to 54.4%, as the product contains 27.9-29.9g in every 100g (13.2g for trade beans)
- lower in fat by up to 10%, as the product only contains 1.7-1.9g in every 100g (2-2.5g for trade beans)
- lower in calories, as the energy value is 225-233 kcal/100g and 955-963 kj/100g (296 kcal/100g and 1,236 kj/100g respectively for trade beans)
- richer in calcium by up to 56%, with 2,970-2,988 mg/kg (1,312 mg/kg for trade beans)
- smaller amount of sodium, 97.1-98.1 mg/kg (354mg/kg for trade beans)
- lower level of ash, in that the product contains 3.9-4.1g in every 100g (4.4g for trade beans)
The pulses featured in our collection are selected and packaged by ‘Fenea Land’ and have been produced in Feneos, a 600m high mountain valley nestled between the 2,400m peaks of Helmos and Zyria in the north Peloponnese, where the rich and fertile land adds its own flavour to the environmentally produced products – land blessed by the gods through Artemis and Hercules.
The produce comes from local small-scale farmers, all of whom are land and product registered, who have developed their skills of cultivation from generation to generation, so ensuring the unique strains of the seeds used to provide the ultimate in terms of both quality and taste.